Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Week and a Half In...

Summer holidays are upon us. Can we really call it summer? Every day since school broke up, I have woken up, looked out the window and wanted to scream, COME ON! Rain, rain, and more rain. Ok, I know this is England, but even the Brits are starting to complain. However, based on the best advice ever given to me regarding raising boys, I have been taking my boys out and "running them like dogs." And they are still bouncing off the walls. This week, rather, they are fighting. Come on, sun!

Anyway, we have been doing a bit despite the weather. Last week was their intensive swimming course. It started each day at 9:30, so there was so sleeping in (like that happens in this house!). The boys were on their scooters at 9:00 each morning with me running with the pushchair behind them. I got to view their progress on Friday and it was amazing! Jacob is now diving deep and swimming across under the water. Aiden has no help as he swims across the pool and is starting to master the backstroke.

On Thursday, I traded kids with a friend and took Jacob, Aiden and J's little girlfriend to see Ice Age 3. I must admit, I was a bit scared as I waited for the dinos to appear. I looked over at the kids to see if they were ok and caught Jacob asking his pal if she was scared. She said no as if he were crazy. Immediately he sat up and said he wasn't either. Right!

And lastly, on Friday we received two guinea pigs and a bunny to babysit for two weeks. I think I bit off more than I can chew on this one. I have worked up enough courage to pick up the pigs, but I'm not touching the rabbit, who seems to bit and scratch. Sorry, Hoppy, no sitting in the grass until Tom gets home. Silky seems to be doing fine, but poor Chocoletta is scared out of his mind every time he sees one of the boys coming. He squeaks unbearably and he should - Jacob has dropped him, Aiden almost stepped on him and Jeb is constantly chasing him and moving his "house". I hope they make it the full two weeks!

So, we soldier on. The forecast? Rain. Seriously.

No comments: