Tuesday, September 30, 2008

You Know You Live in a Small Town When...

Well, I always thought that growing up in Hudsonville gave me a small town experience. No, I think Beaconsfield takes the cake. You just never know who is watching as I have found out in the past few weeks.

I went to a new playgroup with Jeb a few weeks ago and starting chatting with a woman. She looked at me a few minutes into our conversation and said, "Don't you have two older boys?" Surprised, I said "Yes, how do you know that?" Her reply, "Oh, I've seen you in Sainsburys (our grocery store and the place to be seen) before with all three." I froze. Images flashed in my head of me in Sainsburys with all three boys...was I yelling at them? where they running around? why would she notice us? She said not to worry, she has 5 older brothers, so when she sees a woman with boys, it brings back good memories. I chose to believe that we looked like the perfect family when she saw us!

But it doesn't stop there! Just yesterday, at my usual playgroup, I met another American. After talking for a while and explaining that we moved almost a year ago, she said, "Oh, I've heard of you...you're the one who came with three kids when your youngest was 4 weeks old." Now, that is just crazy. I'm learning that you always act proper in this small town of our - you never know who is watching or who is talking!

1 comment:

Dan, Pam, and the Boys said...

So true Joy! I take advantage of just running out the door knowing we don't know anyone around here. But after awhile, you start to see the same people and realize I should at least put makeup on!
Hugs!