Saturday, May 8, 2010

A Few Days Away

There is nothing like a few days away, especially when it's so badly needed. Not that I'm complaining, but I did spend the weekend alone with the boys. Plus the fact that Monday was also a holiday. That makes three days with three high energy boys, with rain each day. We all needed a break from each other in order to appreciate each other a little bit more.

So, off I went to the states to find a house. I'm not real sure that this counts as time away, but I'll take what I can get. I was sooo excited for 8 hours on a plane sans kids. Just me and an abundance of movies to choose from. Ahhh. Then we hit Chicago. Maybe I should have tried to grab a few minutes of shut eye.

Rental cars. Never an easy experience. First I had to wait 1/2 hour. Finally got to the desk and surprisingly, I was quite chipper. The lady must have thought so too cause she upgraded me. Most days, this would have been nice, but the car was a huge Jeep. I was so looking forward to driving a small car and, let's face it, getting away from the Chyrsler family. Ok, I can do this. Keep in mind, it's been 1 1/2 years since I drove on this side of the car and on this side of the street. Think, Joy, think. As long as your body is on the center line, you are fine. Made it to the highway only to find something new - Ipass lanes for the toll way. Yikes, where do I throw my change?? There is something that looks like an exit/cash toll, but GPS lady is telling me not to go there and she will yell if I do this wrong. I go to the right lane. No, I change my mind, I go left. NO! I only see Ipass lanes! And then I proceed to pull right, rocking the big Jeep and cutting off someone. But! I have chosen correctly.

I finally get to the hotel and crash into bed. Now, I have to skip everything that happens the next two days of house hunting. That is simply another blog post and one that actually hasn't come to an end yet. So, I'll take you to Friday.

I end up seeing two schools and decide to risk it and see if I could fly stand-by on an earlier. No-can-do. The woman at the desk informs me that the morning flight to London has been cancelled due to volcanic ash. And mine may be effected too. Please, no! So I make my way to the lounge and wait it out.

Now comes the sad part, and believe me, I was standing there bawling while the others were snapping pics. I had noticed fire trucks gathering by the terminal and when the plane came in, they doused it with water from two trucks. I was intrigued. All the firemen stood standing in a line. The cargo door opened and a coffin emerged. What I hadn't seen before was 5 Marines standing in front of the firemen. They went to the coffin and unwrapped an American flag, draping it over this honored Marine who was coming home for the last time. There are no words for the small ceremony that followed. We have so much because of selfless people who protect us from afar. My stresses as a mom are nothing compared to watching your son come home this way. It puts a whole lot into perspective of needing a few days away...

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Joy you are such an amazing writer. I hadn't checked out your blog in a while and thought I would see how it was going. I was moved by this post. Great job on the blog, can't wait to get together when you get back!

Anonymous said...

I must agree with Jessica. Joy, this is so terrific. Such a sad story. Thanks for sharing your adventures.

Sheena