June 15, 2012. The day we have been waiting for. Bags have been packed, maps have been checked, the car is FULLY loaded and The Griswolds...er, I mean The Koops where ready to cross the United States! Destination? Yellowstone and Glacier with a few stops inbetween.Please note, this is a long post...meant to document the trip for the boys, who may not remember it in the years to come. Wait, maybe for me and Tom too! Anyway, parts are highlighted, feel free to skip around!
After two days in the car, Tom and I were definitely rethinking our choice not to fly. You see, I made sure that each boy had a bag chucked full of things to do. However, it seemed that those bags had too much to do! And what did they all fight over? THE LEAPSTER! This is what we were dealing with (inside a very small space): fighting over electronics, stuff ALL over and too much silliness. Tom and I had a heart to heart between us on Monday night. No more electronics for the boys and no more yelling for us. Tuesday was our best day.
Lunch was spent at The Ranch, just a little souvenir shop on the side of the road. Sounds not so fun, but when you combine it with prairie dogs, it becomes the greatest place on earth! We fed them almonds as they popped up out of their holes a and laughed as they sunbathed on the grass. It was a fun lunch.
Mount Rushmore. It is pretty impressive, but after about 30 minutes it is less so. However, we were told the lighting ceremony is a must so we waited. Thank goodness there was entertainment! An Indian performed traditional music and a hoop dance. Jacob even learned the dance. Only one more hour to wait. Long story short, the lighting up wasn't so impressive. Pretty, but not as pretty as three little boys asleep at 8:00 vs. 10:30!
Cody WY. Happy Fathers Day Tom! We took him out to eat at the historic Irma hotel, made famous by Buffalo Bill in 1895. We had made it to the old west! Toms present was a trip to the rodeo. It was like nothing we had seen before and I don't know if I will ever forget Jeb's face. He was so excited he was shaking. I'll admit, at times I was too! What a great night.
We then wandered around the southern hot springs, but our spirits were down...the wind would keep the animals away. So we went to our cabin in the Tetons, we're it began to rain. But, we got on with it, putting on our raincoats and hiking Jackson lake, with magnificent views of the Tetons. I got out at sunset to see the mountains turn purple as the sun set behind them. This was beautiful, and as I headed back, my spirits lifted and a deer stood 20 feet from me. A new attitude abounded. I was ready to take on the Tetons and the three crazy boys back at the cabin!
Tuesday. We had a plan...hike up to Inspiration Point on the Grand Teton. On the way, we saw a mama grizzly and her 3 cubs. Far away, thank goodness, well in a weird way we really wanted to be closer! The willow flats are near Jackson Lake Lodge, so we went there to start. Wow, the views from this place were unbelievable! I wondered why we didn't stay here until I saw that room prices were closer to $400 a night! Anyway, we hiked a bit before a ranger stopped us and told us to beware of the same mama grizzly and her cubs. She is a first time mom and will charge. We turned around. That is nothing I want to mess with! Side note, did you know that the Tetons were named by Frenchmen? In French it means, three big breasts. Those French men must have been a bit lonely!
No comments:
Post a Comment