We made it to lower falls around 10:30, after a bit of a traffic delay due to elk. After a steep incline down, and a very nervous mummy, we were at the brink of the falls. The power of water is incredible!
We needed more, so we drove to Uncle Toms Trailhead, which is 328 stairs down! I was a little nervous at times while looking down through the grated steel steps, since I have had a fear of falling through the cracks since I was little...if only I were that skinny! The view was worth it and the boys seemed to enjoy counting steps. So much so that they convinced us to take on the south rim trail, a 2 mile round trip hike! The views were amazing along the way and when it ended at Artist Point, I was so glad we did it!
Then we had to walk back. It was hot. The boys were tired...one in particular. So, we split up and Tom walked with Jeb after sitting in the outhouse with him since he conveniently had to go #2. Times like these, I am SO glad that I have boys and am not allowed in the mens room! The older boys and I made it in 20 minutes and were surprised when Tom and Jeb showed up 10 minutes later. Lots of carrying, but they made it! Trail mix at the end was a big reward and we were so happy to refill our water on this hot day!
We stopped at Norris Geyser on the way home. It looks like armegeddon! Baron land with steam rising. Jeb held his nose much of the time and a few tourist started taking pics of him! I was a little nervous about the smell since I remember my brother throwing up at this place when I young and on my first visit to Yellowstone. We didn't stay long.
On the way home, we came head to head with a bison, as we stopped on the road to watch it graze. It then decided to cross! It was huge with horns and stood there and stared at us as if to ask us to move. I thought for sure it was going to gore our car! We were all so excited after, but I never want to be that close again!
Home for dinner and then to bed. Early morning "safari" tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment