This is where my lovely parents step in. They are behind us 110%. In fact, while I was procrastinating on fundraising, they were busy gathering checks. And this year, I had no excuses not to walk in what is the biggest fundraiser for CF - GreatStrides.
The goal? Raise $5000. My reaction? "Mom, we will never get that, lower it." My mom's reaction? "No. We'll get it." Did I tell you that my mom is pretty tight with God? Anyway, I put out an email asking for money, which is just so nerve racking. (I know, how did I ever make it in sales?). But amazingly, the next hour brought several emails with donations for Jeb's team. And each day brought more. I was a basketcase everytime I opened up the computer. Tears kept flowing and I'd spend the next hour pulling myself together only to have another email come through alerting me to another donation. I was wearing sunglasses to school in the rain - my eyes were forever red-rimmed.
In the end, between my parents team and ours (which made up the full 'Jeb Team'), we raised over $7000!! (Did I mention my mom has a thing with God?) I guess I should never have questioned it. We received donations from all over the world and from a lot of friends we hadn't seen in awhile. It's the most humbling experience I have ever had in my life. (Here come the tears again!).
And on May 21, we had a beautiful day in Grand Haven to walk with Jeb and several of our friends and family in support of a cure for CF. It was a great day. And it's been a great experience.
I've been thinking a lot about how CF has changed our lives. Honestly, we appreciate each day a little bit more...and each breath a little bit more. It has opened our eyes to other families that have it so much worse than us, but still manage to smile in spite of the difficulties they face each day. In short, I think CF has opened our hearts and made us more compassionate. Would I love to not have it in our lives? Oh yes, but God just didn't have that plan for us. So, we'll walk this path and pray for a cure. Jeb may not have won the lotto when it came to the two CF genes that he has, but he sure did get a heck of a lot of personality and who can say no to those big brown eyes of his?
And to all our friends and family who have supported us, there are just no words to express how much it means. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts!
The Koops Clan at the end of the day (obviously!)
No comments:
Post a Comment